State Park was constructed in 1933
as a part of the WPA program. The park
is the home of world famous golf courses and was the location of the 2002
PGA Open. In an effort to refurbish the
facility at a minimum cost to the State, the New York State Parks Department
solicited private operators to lease the clubhouse and perform major interior
and exterior alterations as a condition of the lease.
Andrew J. Desiderio, P.E., P.C.
was retained for the mechanical (plumbing, HVAC, fire protection) and
electrical design of the club house alterations. This wood framed structure had not been
designed to house large commercial kitchens nor was air conditioning
incorporated into the original complex.
The revised clubhouse was to include three major catering
areas, one of which consisted of a new ballroom addition to the rear of the building. This building is considered an historic
landmark and all interior and exterior alterations complied with strict
architectural standards imposed by the State architect. The HVAC systems included thirteen major air
conditioning units, ranging in capacity from 2 to 15 tons; three kitchens that
required make-up air units and exhaust systems, and all
ductwork. Fresh air intakes and exhaust
systems were integrated into the building exterior while maintaining
the original architectural features.
Andrew J. Desiderio, P.E., P.C. also designed a new smoke and fire detection
and alarm system for the entire facility.